* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: A Photo I'd Like To Forget

Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Photo I'd Like To Forget



One trick in selling diet products it to show a really crappy "Before" photo of a person--I think the above photo fits the bill. This was taken on October 10, 2007 by a fellow photographer at the Millsaps football game and now I understand why people always tell me to warn them before I take a photo. You'll have to just trust me when I say that I am slightly more photogenic when I can get prepared for the shot.

Hopefully, there are some people who would look at this photo and think that I don't look so terrible. I see dozens of people each day who are far more obese than me, but that doesn't mean that I'm okay just because so many are in a health crisis. At 5'10", the number that separates "overweight" from "obese" is 207 pounds. Just getting out of that obese category makes a world of difference in lessening the chances of health problems.

While my concern with losing weight is primarily about my health and making day-to-day living easier, I'll admit that looking better is something I would like and something that should be a goal (we'll get into the health vs. looks issue in a future post). If you take a close look at the above photo, you'll see that the front of the shirt isn't hanging loosely. It's tight enough that you can make out the belly button crater, never an appealing look. You can also see an ample "love handle" on my left side, especially back where I'm leaning against the fence. I'm lugging around at least 30-35 extra pounds, the equivalent of carrying almost 2 cases of soft drinks every second of the day and getting rid of that burden will make me feel and look so much better.

Added note: Yesterday it was a plate of brownies left in the break room here at work and today it is a fantastic 3 layer chocolate cake that looks like it came out of a fine dining magazine. If I wasn't documenting my food intake and therefore being held accountable for my calories, I guarantee that these free snacks would have added at least 1,000 calories each day to my total. Sometimes losing weight in America is like trying to "just say no to drugs" while living in a hippie commune--there seem to be temptations and pitfalls around every corner.

Today's Weight: 220.5 pounds
Exercise Today: Walked about 3.5 miles in about 55 minutes (6 points), 2 hours of slow paced doubles (2 points)
Food Today: Animal crackers (250)--oatmeal(160)--pineapple(320)--animal crackers(250)--Wendy's (680)--yogurt(100) = 1,860 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment