* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 23--219 Pounds--6 Pounds Lost

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Day 23--219 Pounds--6 Pounds Lost

There's somewhat of a Catch-22 with this blog. I assume that very few people are reading so I don't put my full effort into these posts. On the other hand, maybe very few people are reading because I don't put my full effort into these posts. Experience tells me that my full effort is unlikely to pull in and keep any readers, so I doubt that this blog will every do much more than its main purpose, which is to help me lose weight.

For anyone who might be reading, let me just tell you that this system of just staying accountable works. In addition, I will tell you that in today's society, not becoming aware and accountable is almost guaranteed to fail if you are trying to stay at a healthy weight. While we hear that a typical man should consume around 2,500 to 2,800 calories a day, this doesn't match up with what we are conditioned to think of as a normal eating day. It's very easy to think you are eating normal only to find that your light breakfast is 500 calories, your reasonable lunch is 1,200 calories, your regular supper is 1,000 calories, and all the snacks in between total close to another 1,000 calories. It's easy to pack away 3,500 calories in a day and think that you are eating a "normal" amount of food.

In America today, where we throw in so many extra calories between meals and people pour in extra calories with soft drinks, alcoholic drinks, and even the calorie packed sports drinks, it is just about impossible to stay in the suggested calorie range unless you become consciously accountable. Here's a good rule of thumb to follow: If you think you are eating normal, then you are eating too much. For the vast majority in America, what they look at as eating light is actually the normal amount for their age, sex, and activity level. Trusting your instincts will lead to becoming and staying overweight because our instincts have been calibrated to an incorrect level. To stay in the correct calorie range and thereby maintain a healthy weight, it depends on making a little effort to be accountable.

Weight today: 219 pounds
Exercise today:
Food today: yogurt(100)--Christmas junk (see below)(1,000)--pineapple(320)--popcorn(250)--this day's food journal just fell apart as the day progressed. I stayed aware of the calories and I made up for junk by not eating much of anything at meal times. Tomorrow won't be much better since we have our office party for the December birthdays. That's makes me one of the honorees since my birthday was two days ago (I hit the non-descript age of 56). It would just be rude of me if I didn't get a little of everything--it looks like another day of mostly junk and very little real food.

Christmas junk--We have free food all over the office. Today it was rum cake, cookies, and "fiddle-faddle", the best version of a CrackerJack type snack that I've ever had. In addition, there are the people who give out Christmas "happies", where they come around and give you some sort of high calorie goodies. I have had a little of all of the above snacks and even showing restraint quickly adds up to 1,000 calories or more. I'm trying to make sure that I keep my real food calories down while eating these fun calories, not exactly the healthiest approach to take, but better than topping the 3,000 to 4,000 calorie range.

No comments:

Post a Comment