* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 23--218.5 Pounds--1.5 Pounds Lost

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day 23--218.5 Pounds--1.5 Pounds Lost

To call this is diet is somewhat misleading. It is a struggle where I need to keep up with the good and the bad. Both are relevant and while the bad doesn't help me with immediate weight loss, it does make me think about my actions and it does keep the bad from becoming the really bad.

Believe it or not, yesterday's bad day could have been really, really worse. I'm not looking for applause when I say that, just pointing out that staying accountable does help even when it seems that things are out of control. The out of control part came after 5:30--I did have a ton of the mixed nuts that they have on the table at the bar, plus 3 beers, plus a Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe and a small order of fries at Wendy's. The beers were light beers and I didn't splurge by adding a Frosty at Wendy's, but those items still add up to 1,000 calories. The nuts were 500 calories or more--supposedly they are a healthy snack, but that's only true if you can stop reaching into the bowl. Who can do that in a bar?

Where's the good news in all this. Well, this week we have had some killer cookies in the lounge as well as a pecan pie and some breakfast muffin things. In the past I would have gotten 5-6 cookies each day, somewhere in the range of 1,000 to 1,500 calories extra per day. I would have had a slice of pie, somewhere around 400 calories, and who knows how many muffins with their extra calories. I've resisted all of these things because of this food journal.

The other bit of good news is that I have lost 6.5 pounds since Thanksgiving. I could have done better for sure, but 6-7 pounds over 2 months is the same as 36-42 pounds over a year. I would be very happy if I was 42 pounds lighter after a year's time so this rate of loss isn't bad. It's just not near my best effort and my hope is to have that 42 pounds off much sooner than next Thanksgiving.

I have no excuses for a bad day today. I have 99% confidence that I'll stay under 2,000 calories today and fairly strong confidence that I can put together a nice string of sub-2,000 calorie days.

Food today: yogurt(100)--crackers(190)--heart candies(100)--Zero candy bar(240, working through lunch)--pineapple(320)--corn(280)--potatoes(150)--pickles(90)--popcorn(250) = 1,720 calories (actual vegetables on the list--it turns out that vegetables are pretty good--the world is full of surprises)

No comments:

Post a Comment