* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 26--217 Pounds--3 Pounds Lost

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Day 26--217 Pounds--3 Pounds Lost

I'm sweating as I type this post. No, there wasn't a miracle and the central heating suddenly became efficient enough to make the duplex toasty. I just got back from a 4 mile jog-walk that did turn into a walk-jog by the end. Speed is not the issue. My goal now is to get out 3 times a week and complete 4 miles one way or another. My hope is that eventually that 4 miles will become a steady jog at a moderate pace, aided by the fact that I'll be carrying around far less body fat. That's a very achievable goal.

Here's my exercise plan. I need to get out 3 times a week and 1 day is covered by the Thursday morning jog with Boty. That leaves me with 1 jog to do over the weekend when I can run in daylight and at the warmest time of the day. There really isn't much of an excuse for not getting in a weekend run. The 3rd jog needs to come on Tuesday mornings and it means getting up at 4:20 and not making excuses about why I need to reset the alarm for 6.

Way back when I was in good shape and actually enjoyed running, I found that the 3 jogs a week was ideal for me. There were times when at least 2 of those jogs each week were a 10-mile run at a sub-8:00 pace, something that was fairly easy at the time. A lot of years have passed and a lot of pounds have been added since those days. The reason I like 3 longer jogs back then is that is always gave me a days rest between runs and it gave me some flexibility in my schedule since I also had an extra day of rest.

It seems to me that a reachable goal to shoot for is a 6 mile jog in less than an hour, three times a week. I would eventually like that to become a 9:00 minute pace, and I could see the day when it became an 8 mile jog instead of 6, but that's a goal way to far from my current reality. At the moment I really can't jog 1 mile non-stop unless I want to push myself into a very uncomfortable level, so the 6 miles in a hour is a big enough goal at the moment.

With the jog this morning and some restraint in my eating today, maybe I'll see something below 217 tomorrow. That would be nice. Dieting can seem painfully slow while in reality the weight comes off far faster than it went on. I'm sure I could lose weight faster if I did something radical like one of those high protein diets, but the big picture is that I need to make subtle changes to my lifestyle in order to lose the weight. I need to find a more responsible way of eating that I can follow for 30 years, not just 30 days. I need to find a form of exercise that I might stick with for 30 years, even if that eventually becomes a 2-mile walk in 45 minutes. In the long run, the method of weight loss is just as important as the weight loss because it has to be something that you can continue to do for the rest of your life.

Food today: yogurt(100)--popcorn(250)--pineapple(320)--lasagna(720)--yogurt(100) = 1,490 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment