* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 8--220 Pounds--0 Pounds Lost

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Day 8--220 Pounds--0 Pounds Lost

Today's the day I have gastric bypass surgery. While this is not a 100% guarantee to lose weight and keep the weight off, it is something that has created miracle results for many. In yesterday's local paper there was a story about a woman who completed Saturday's Mississippi Blues Marathon. In 2003 this women weighed 444 pounds and in desperation she had one of the various forms of stomach reduction procedures. Now she is an active woman with a weight down to 179 pounds. Just imagine how many years of life she gained by having that surgery.

At 220 pounds, I'm not really a candidate for this bypass surgery. In addition, trips to the doctor and the thought of any medical procedure are things that are certainly last resorts for me. Therefore, I'm having a mental gastric bypass surgery. There's no need to actually reduce the size of my stomach if I'll just eat like I've had the surgery. For example, I ate an entire 11 ounce frozen pizza last night, only about 700 calories for the entire meal, but someone who had the stomach reduction surgery would have only eaten half. Or, I go to Wendy's and get a burger and a small Frosty, only 680 calories, but someone who had a gastric bypass would only have one of those items.

The bottom line is that all of us can lose weight if we just eat smaller amounts when we sit down to eat. Small meals of 300-400 calories with maybe a yogurt in between would put me on the path to losing weight. People who have the bypass surgery are at the point where they need to be physically forced to eat smaller meals. I think I still have enough will power and discipline left to make this switch by just making a conscious effort to change the way I eat. So as of now, I've had my bypass surgery, and the thought of trying to eat a big meal is just out of the question. Maybe I'll be writing about completing a marathon when I post to this blog a year from now.

Weight today: 220 Pounds
Exercise today:
Food today: yogurt(100)--crackers(190)--chili(400)--crackers(190)--3 light beers(300)--popcorn(250)--yogurt(100) = 1,530 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment