* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 12--215 Pounds--5 Pounds Lost

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 12--215 Pounds--5 Pounds Lost

I was thinking last night about small changes I could make to help the weight loss process. I came up with 2 things that might make a real difference:

1) On my snacks of popcorn and canned fruit, I need to turn one snack into two. I'm usually not real hungry when I get one of those snacks and I could stretch out the calories by only eating half and saving the other half for later.

They now have a variety of snack packs available which offer servings of 100 calories per pack. My guess is that most people buy those and then eat 3 at a time, defeating the purpose of the packaging. Physically, these small snack packs are all a person needs, but mentally, it is hard to look at such a small portion and think that it will be enough. The vast majority of us need to be retrained on the proper portion sizes that are needed by the human body.

I've seen the 100 calorie popcorn packs and they are about the same cost as the regular packs. Instead of buying those small packs, I'm going to pop a regular bag, pour it into a bowl that will only hold half, and then I'll have the other half later. It's possible that later will come right away, but in most cases I think I can turn one snack into two. The same idea will work with the fruit.

2) The second thing I need to do is eat more vegetables. It doesn't take much longer to open a couple of cans, heat up some vegetables, and then wash the pans. That's not nearly as easy as opening a package, putting it in the microwave, and then later throwing away the package, but heating up items on the stove isn't a major operation. Another possibility is vegetables packaged for the microwave--I'll look into that. My impression is that you usually get less food for far more cost and that makes going to the stove a better option.

One of the reasons I keep this blog is so I'll think about my food choices. I'm doing a fairly good job with my choices at the moment, or at least my calorie totals. I believe I'll be greatly rewarded by finding ways to do just a little bit better. Getting my calories from the 2,000-2,500 range to the 1,600-2,000 range would do wonders.

Food today: yogurt(100)--popcorn(250)--rice(440)--fruit(320) = subtotal 1,110 calories--

No comments:

Post a Comment