* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: May 21, 2008 -- 221.5 Pounds

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21, 2008 -- 221.5 Pounds

Like most people, I would rather be fat. I guess it would be more accurate to say that I would rather lead the lifestyle that is guaranteed to make me fat. Wouldn't most of us enjoy eating all that we want of whatever we want?

It seems like this is an important thing to acknowledge. When it comes to eating, our natural impulses are going to lead to weight gain so the only way to keep the excess weight off is by making a conscious effort to cut back on what we eat. Think about it before you respond with a "Duh" to that last statement. I'm keeping a blog and focusing just about every day on the need to cut back on my calories and I still have a lot of difficulty with weight loss. What do you think the chances for success are with the people who just going through life following their impulses when it comes to what and how much they eat?

Showing restraint and not following our desires is something we do every day in other areas of life. Few people want to get up 200 days a year and spend most of the day at work, but they do. Most people have a list of items a mile long that they would like to buy, but they don't buy those things because they keep their personal finances under control. Showing restraint is something we do all the time and usually with good success. Why can't we apply that same ability to show restraint when it comes to the area of eating.

In fairness, most of us show a fair amount of restraint. I can financially afford to eat and I would prefer to eat about 5,000 calories a day, maybe even more. I would like more candy, ice cream, super-sized combo meals, a big breakfast at Burger King, etc, in my daily diet. In reality, I already show a tremendous amount of restraint in my eating. Now I just need to push that restraint to a much higher level in order to lose weight and then I can ease back a little when I get to a weight that is healthy and is one that I want to maintain.

On paper it all sounds easy and physically it isn't really that hard to do. The hard part is the mental part, and I need to remember that restraint is the norm in life if I want to lead a healthy life. I am strong enough mentally to walk in a store and not buy everything that I would like to own, so I should be strong enough to pass on the foods that will keep me from losing weight.

Food today: yogurt(100)--cereal bar(140)--cereal bar(140)--cereal bar(140, I worked till 1 without lunch)--2 hot pockets(620)--popcorn(250)--3 light beers(300--no nuts at the bar, a small miracle)--pizza(720) = 2,410 calories, a great total for a Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment