* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: June 22, 2008 -- 222 Pounds

Sunday, June 22, 2008

June 22, 2008 -- 222 Pounds

Losing a pound on the scales from yesterday to today isn't big news. Keeping my food journal for an entire day and being motivated to keep the calories down is a big change from recent weeks and months. What is always amazing when I show such dedication is that I didn't have to suffer from any hunger pains. For most of us, there is a tremendous gap between the amount of food we need each day and the amount of food we actually eat. In some areas of the world, that gap is unfortunately that people aren't getting all the food they need--in America the norm is a gap where we eat far too much.

There are "experts" in nutrition that will tell you a food journal needs to be more than just listing the foods you eat. You need to keep up with when you ate, how you were feeling at the time, were you actually hungry, how did you feel afterwards, etc. I always felt like that was too much detail, something that would make keeping a food journal too time consuming and therefore less likely to be completed. Maybe I was wrong.

It seems like obesity in America is the result of eating for pleasure and eating out of habit. It doesn't help that many of us have gone to a less physical lifestyle so we have dropped down considerably on the burning calories side of the equation, but our obesity is not a case of eating because of hunger and then not burning enough calories. Yesterday I had a banana and two apples in the morning and I wasn't hungry. Friday I had 2 sausage biscuit with jelly from Burger King and at least one cereal bar as a mid-morning snack. With foresight, I can easily get through the morning on 500 calories or less, but Friday I was up to at least 1,200 calories before I ate lunch. That was because I was eating for pleasure and out of habit, not because I was hungry.

I don't want to get to the point where I'm writing down a lot on my food journal. I actually want to stay with the method of being able to write everything down on the back of a business card. But at the very least, I need to think about why I'm eating before I put anything in my mouth. Is it food I need because of hunger, or am I just going for a quick pleasure that will only last a few minutes, or am I eating because of a habit that I need to change? If I can change my mindset so that food become simply fuel for my body, then losing weight will not be a problem. I need to work on that one big IF.

Food today: popcorn(250)--apple(150)--Whopper Jr(400)--popcorn(250)--soup(240)--popcorn(250, I really have no other snacks in the house except for popcorn) = 1,540 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment