* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: July 16, 2008 -- 221.5 Pounds (46.5 Pounds to Go)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16, 2008 -- 221.5 Pounds (46.5 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: yogurt(100)--yogurt(100)--hot pockets(680)--apple juice(140) and cookies(210) when I gave blood--popcorn(250)--pineapple(300)--popcorn(250) = 2,030 calories.

I almost got under 2,000 calories despite the extra 350 calories from the blood center. I had gone up to bed without that last bag of popcorn, but I had a hunger pain that wouldn't go away while reading in bed. One of the absolute unbreakable rules of my diet is to never ignore a hunger pain if possible. I don't think a person has to go hungry when on a diet if they will simply cut back on the amount they are eating when they aren't hungry. All of us can get by on low calorie amounts if we eat in smaller portions and throughout the day. My problem is that far too often I eat too much so I won't be hungry later instead of simply eating a small amount when I actually do get hungry.

There's no need in reinventing the wheel so I've done a copy and paste on my post from the "A Slice of Frank's Life" blog. It will be a rarity that I'll have a dieting post on that other blog unless it is just a brief update, and my plan is to be a little more active with my posting here. In the past I've been fairly consistent in my posts, but I haven't had any links to weight loss stories or tips on things that seem to be working for me, etc. I'll try to do more of that in the future. Below is the post about my goal and how I plan to achieve it:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



When it comes to posts about dieting, I have been like "the boy who cried wolf" for at least a year. Therefore, I certainly understand if any or all of you are skeptical of my plan to get down to 175 pounds by the end of this year. That would be 48 pounds lower than my Tuesday morning weigh-in, and it would take me back to my weight of almost 20 years ago.

Since every major project needs a slogan, I'm going with "Looking Fine in 2009". It's a catchy slogan that unfortunately is flawed in a couple of ways. First off, I'm not sure that I'll be "looking fine" at any weight. Second, my motive for losing weight should be more than skin deep, focusing more on the improvements in my health and longevity. That being said, I will look better and I'll feel better physically and mentally when I lose this excessive weight, and looking better in the short term is probably a stronger motivating factor that the long term benefits of better health and the potential for a longer life. It shouldn't be that way, but that seems to be the way the human mind works.

Since this isn't politics, I'll need more than a catchy slogan. It makes sense that I should go back to the steps that helped me lose 35 pounds in 2006 and use that as my foundation, and then I need to tweak that plan into something that will get me over the hump that stumped me back then. I have about 165 days to go in 2008. In 2006 I had lost 27 pounds after 100 days and 34.5 pounds after 165 days, a very solid effort, but a pace that isn't good enough to reach my goal. Knowing that I have very little room for error, here's what I think it will take to reach my goal:

-----Consistently keeping my food journal is imperative, even on the bad days. Ideally, this consistency will greatly reduce my bad days.
-----The days over 2,000 calories need to be few and far between. In addition, I need to avoid the practice of eating extra in the evening just because I can fit in another food item below the 2,000 calorie cap.
-----I need to get back to adding yogurt/calcium to my diet. Supposedly it will help me lose more fat, particularly fat around the stomach, and it will help me keep muscle. At the very least, it seems to be the most filling 100 calories that I've found while dieting.
-----Exercise is the big X-factor that has to be added to the equation. Outside of a little tennis, there was very little exercise going on back in 2006. In addition to burning more calories, exercise seems to reduce the number of plateaus and shorten the time spent on each plateau.
-----Here's the step that isn't really hard, but for some reason it is hard for me. I need to stretch. Stretching won't help me lose weigh but it will do wonders for easing the pain in my right hip, and less pain equals the ability to exercise more.
-----And finally, I need to keep my focus on the goal. I can do this if I stick to the plan and stay on course. Detours and side roads will turn this into an impossible dream. I have to stay focused on 175, not settle for 205, 195 or even 185. Once I start cutting back on the goal, I'll start cutting back on the effort.

That's my plan. One other ace in the hole that differs from 2006 is that I won't be doing the Millsaps photos. That was the biggest reason that I didn't exercise back then and it was also a contributing factor to some of my bad days because some days were so hectic. If I will work as hard on myself as I worked on those photos for other, then this thing should be a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment