* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: July 20, 2008 -- 220 Pounds (45 Pounds to Go)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

July 20, 2008 -- 220 Pounds (45 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: popcorn(250)--Wendy's Jr Cheeseburger Deluxe(350) and small vanilla Frosty(330)--popcorn(250)--pizza(700) = 1,860 calories.

Saturday was a good day since it included a 2-3 mile walk in the morning. I can't really go by time since I was taking photos along the way, photos that will be used on the other blog for the next few days. I am concerned that my right hip and my lower back have been troublesome lately. While there's bound to be a connection between the two, the one that concerns me the most is the hip.

Back about 13-14 years ago I was coaching U-12 Select soccer and playing in a tennis league. I'm sure I was doing a lot of other stuff as well such as running and racquetball, but it was the tennis and soccer that was giving me a problem. I would coach a soccer practice Thursday afternoons followed by a tennis match in the evening and my hip would hurt so much that I rarely slept on Thursday nights. As a sign of just how bad it got, I actually went to a doctor to check out the problem.

The x-rays revealed that the lining in the ball and joint of my left hip was in good shape and the lining in my right hip was about non-existent. I was in my early 40's and I wasn't going to even consider a hip replacement. The doctor understood and he gave me a list of things that I should do: cut back on the sports that put pressure on the hip--lose some weight--stretching to take pressure off the hip--exercises to straighten the muscles. Of course I did none of the above, deciding that I could live with the pain. I did start taking a couple of things in the glucosamine (spelling?) family and I think those helped quite a bit. I have a feeling that it might be time to pay the piper and there's a strong possibility that I have a hip replacement somewhere in my future.

Or maybe instead of a hip replacement, I can try doing some of those things the doctor suggested over a decade ago. The biggest one is stretching, something I did do at one time and it did help a lot. I'm stupid for not continuing to stretch, but it is just something that I've always hated to do. I guess the time has come to push through the hate. I won't achieve my goal without more exercise and I'm afraid that I won't be able to do more exercise without stretching. This is one that will test my new motto of "I Can Do This--I Will Do This".

No comments:

Post a Comment