* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: August 15, 2008 -- 219.5 Pounds (44.5 Pounds to Go)

Friday, August 15, 2008

August 15, 2008 -- 219.5 Pounds (44.5 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: yogurt(100)--pineapple(150)--M&Ms(240)--pineapple(150)--yogurt(100)--popcorn(200)--soup(380)--yogurt(100) = 1,420 calories

Thursday I did that little bit extra. The drop in weight is not as significant as the drop in calories. After all, when you look at the food list above you see that it is items that are mostly liquid, the items that get passed out of your body the fastest and therefore create the appearance of a quick weight loss. As I have said in the past, I'll know that I've accomplished something when I get on the scale and it shows 215 pounds. I'm still a ways from that.

On the other hand, having a day under 1,500 calories is significant. Just by looking at the list you can see why I've been trying to get away with a daily intake of closer to 2,000 calories. Let's break it down by groups:

3 yogurts--300 calories--I do like the yogurt and in my opinion it is the best tasting and most filling 100 calories you can find. Still, this isn't nearly as much fun as 3 Krispy Kreme donuts during a day, something that would add on about 500 extra calories.

1 can of pineapple chunks--300 calories--I finally found myself splitting one can into 2 snacks. That helps a lot on keeping the calories down since a morning and afternoon snack of pineapples has been 600 calories in the past. It seems to me that snacks in the 100-150 calorie range are the only way one can get under 1,500 calories in a day. Physically, I'm okay with that size portion. Mentally, it seems like I'm not eating enough for it to be considered a real snack.

1 bag popcorn--200 calories--Another food item that falls into the snack category. Oddly enough, I'm not sure that popcorn is any more filling in the long run that the yogurt. It is more satisfying to eat because you get to eat longer and you feel like you are eating a lot more.

1 bag of M&Ms--240 calories--I was out at lunch and my choice was a snack or a meal. I wasn't very hungry so I went with the snack. I guess I could have gone through a fast food line and gotten one item that would have still stayed under 400 calories, but even a 350 calorie cheeseburger deluxe at Wendy's would have been enough to put me over 1,500 calories for the day.

1 can soup--380 calories--This is the closest I came all day to anything that resembles a meal. If I had been eating out at a nice restaurant, this would have been an appetizer and not the entire meal on its own.

The bottom line to all this is that staying under 1,500 calories each day means that I have to stop eating meals and just try and eat healthy snacks all day. That sounds like the way I need to go in the future if I want to get to 175 pounds. Let's keep in mind that a snack can be a can of corn or peas or potato or beans. It can also be an apple or an orange or a banana. Snacks don't have to be junk food, just items where the calorie total stays somewhere in the 100-300 calorie range.

No comments:

Post a Comment