* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: August 19, 2008 -- 217.5 Pounds (42.5 Pounds to Go)

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

August 19, 2008 -- 217.5 Pounds (42.5 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: yogurt(100)--pineapple(300)--Wendy's(680)--yogurt(100)--yogurt(100)--pineapple(300)--beer(150) = 1,730 calories.

I'm obviously making progress with 5 straight days under 220 pounds and with today being my lowest weight in months. The improvements in my weight are fragile accomplishments right now, somewhat like a concrete sidewalk that has been laid but hasn't hardened. If I slip up in coming days, I'm sure my body will be glad to quickly reset my weight into the 220's.

If anyone is reading, you might remember the recent quote about the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little bit extra. I've been doing that little bit extra lately and it is paying off. It doesn't seem like much, cutting down from closer to 2,000 calories a day to closer to 1,500 calories a day. My theory is that my body had adjusted its metabolism so that it could get by on 2,000 calories a day without having to dip into any stored energy. The drop of another 500 calories per day was enough to forced my metabolism to dip into the stored reserves. I'm hoping that this has finally broken the roadblock to weight loss that I was seeing at the 220 pound mark.

That's just my theory and I hoping the results are the same as what happens when you break a $20 bill. Maybe for you rich people it like what happens when you break a $100 bill. In my case, I'll hold onto a $20 bill because I don't want to break it for some small purchase. I'll hold on to it for a while and then as soon as I make that first purchase, no matter how small, it seems like the resulting change just evaporates from my wallet. I'm hoping that now that my body has made that first small withdrawal from the fat reserves, it will now find it acceptable to continue to make withdrawals. That will only happen if I continue to provide a need for those withdrawals by keeping my calorie count around 1,500 calories.

One last thing that goes back a quote I wrote maybe a month or longer ago. That quote was about the stone cutter who might split a rock on the 100th blow, knowing that it wasn't just the final strike that split the rock but also all of the contributions made by the first 99 hits. I do believe that all of those days when I was staying at about 2,000 calories made a difference. It didn't show up on the scale, but I think I was pushing my metabolism to the limits of its capacity as it tried to maintain my setpoint. It's so important that I didn't give up when it appear that progress was never going to come. Without all of those days, I doubt that the last week would have had as much of an impact. My hope is that this foundation laid over the last 30 days will go a long way in rapidly dropping my setpoint to 210 or lower. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment