* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: August 5, 2008 -- 220 Pounds (45 Pounds to Go)

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 5, 2008 -- 220 Pounds (45 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: Cereal bar(160)--yogurt(100)--cereal bar(160)--beans & rice(310)--yogurt(100)--carrot cake snack(100)--pineapple(300)--pineapple(300)--popcorn(200)--mixed fruit(300) = 2,030 calories

I walked up to the Saints practice last night which certainly help with the lower weight this morning. It was hot! On the way back home I was thinking about my diet and the lack of weight loss over the last 3 weeks. Technically, I've lost 5 pounds since I started, but the problem is that I have bumped up against the 220-222 range for a couple of weeks and I'm having a very hard time breaking through. I've decided that I'm in the "Pickle Jar Phase" of dieting.

You know how it is when you try to open a jar and the lid won't budge. You give it your best shot several times and nothing happens. You might try a different approach like using a towel to grip the lid or running hot water over the lid to make it expand. What you know is that if you can just get the lid to move an eighth of an inch then you've got it made, the rest of the way will be a piece of cake compared to that first small movement.

My diet right now is stuck. That's not what you would expect at the beginning of a diet and that's really the problem--this diet didn't actually begin just 3 weeks ago. For months and months I've been starting and stopping diets, going a few days or maybe a week with lower calories and then backsliding. My body has gotten very acclimated to short stretches of lower calories and I believe it has become quick to respond by lowering my metabolism and therefore preventing weight loss. Because of all these false starts at dieting, it's going to take a long, sustained stretch of lower calories and more exercise before my body realizes that it needs to drop some weight. I don't know if that means 2 more days or 2 more weeks, but I believe that the weight loss will become much more rapid if I can just crack this first setpoint, just as opening a stuck jar lid becomes easy after you get that first bit of movement. In most diets, it is the first 10 pounds that is the easiest. In this situation, I'm thinking and hoping that it will be the first 10 pounds that are the most difficult and then things will start falling into place.

1 comment: