* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: September 1, 2008 -- 217.5 Pounds (42.5 Pounds to Go)

Monday, September 1, 2008

September 1, 2008 -- 217.5 Pounds (42.5 Pounds to Go)

Food Yesterday: A repeat of the previous couple of days. The only meal like thing that I ate was a 640 calorie pack of Breakfast Hot Pockets for lunch. Breakfast is truly a good meal at any time of the day. I actually think I was under 2,000 calories for the day but I didn't walk as planned so it wasn't the effort I had hoped for at the beginning of the day.

The beginning of a new month makes this one of those days that calls for grand plans. Trying to set goals like going the entire month with some sort of exercise each day. Going the entire month with no day over 2,000 calories. Going the entire month doing stretching exercises every day, a suggestion Rusty mentioned yesterday and one that I need to heed. Surprisingly, I'm not sure if such a gungho effort would be a good thing or a bad thing.

I know that I need to improve my effort. I would give myself a grade of a C+ to a B- for my last 7 weeks. I've lost about 7 pounds over that stretch and that is progress. If you want to relate my dieting to an old children's fable, I'm taking the "tortoise" approach to dieting instead of the more rapid "hare" approach. What I really need to do is take a mixture of the two. I need to have something I'll stick to with the steady persistence shown by the tortoise, and I need something that will give me a more rapid pace like that shown by the hare.

The path I need to follow is clear and I've talked about it and followed it some over the last few weeks. I need to cut out the one or two snacks that turn a 1,600 calorie day into a 2,000 calorie day. These are snacks that I eat out of habit and not out of hunger. I need to more consistently exercise, something that would become more feasible if I'd think of shorter walks more often instead of thinking that an hour or somewhere close to 4 miles is what I need to accomplish on each outing. And Rusty is 100% right that I need to do more stretching. It would help immensely with the soreness of my hip and joints. I don't know why I have such a mental block about stretching, but I need to get past this somehow. As with the walking, I'll probably be better off if I think about stretching just 10 minutes a day instead of feeling like it has to be 30 minutes.

As for a goal, I'd like to lose 10 pounds in September. The division between obesity and overweight for a person my height is right around 207 pounds. I would like to cross that threshold by the end of this month and then get under the 200 pound threshold by the end of October. This won't happen unless I step up the dieting effort by eating just a little less and exercising a little far more often. Those two small changes can and will make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment