* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: September 14, 2008 -- 217 Pounds (42 Pounds to Go)

Sunday, September 14, 2008

September 14, 2008 -- 217 Pounds (42 Pounds to Go)

Nothing much to report here. I think my set point must be at about 217 right now so this weight isn't a surprise after a somewhat average day. I saw a Yahoo story about a blogger who had gained back 15 pounds of the 50 pounds she had last. The blogger said there were 4 changes she made from her successful habits that allowed the weight to creep back on. I thought it could have been narrowed down to 2 things of probably equal importance: (1) she stopped being consistent with her exercise and (2) she stopped keeping a food log.

I think the point that should be remembered is that dealing with obesity is a lot like dealing with alcoholism. Once you have the problem, you will have to be vigilant for the rest of your life if you want to get better and stay better. For an alcoholic, kicking the alcohol habit for 6 months or a year is a huge accomplishment, but it doesn't do you much good in the long run if you gradually slip back into becoming a practicing alcoholic. It's the same for someone who has become obese. Losing weight over a period of 6 months or a year is a huge accomplishment, but it doesn't do you much good in the long run if you gain all the weight back.

The truth is that I'll need to diet for the rest of my life if I want to stay out of the obesity category and in the lower end of the overweight category. That's just reality and I need to accept that if I want to live at a more healthy weight and body fat level.

No comments:

Post a Comment