* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: September 17, 2008 -- 219 Pounds (44 Pounds to Go)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September 17, 2008 -- 219 Pounds (44 Pounds to Go)

Would I feel better this morning if I had skipped all the birthday food at work yesterday and I weighed in at 217 pounds? Probably not, and therein lies the problem. Do I feel better today because I ate too much at the birthday party? No, not really, and therein lies the problem once again.

There's a Bill Murray movie named "Meat Balls" that you might remember. His role is that of a counselor at a summer camp that caters to the less than elite kids, what most of us would consider a camp for losers. Part of the movie centers around this camp's athletic competitions against the camp for rich kids, a competition where the rich kids always come out on top. The grand finale of the movie is an Olympic type competition between the two camps and the night before the competition Bill Murray is giving his campers a pep talk, a speech centered around the idea that the rich kids will probably win like they always do and "It just doesn't matter".

That's a long way to go to get to the idea that lately my mind seems to be in a "just doesn't matter" mode. I am making an effort which is fortunate because I'd be in the 230's or 240's by now if I wasn't making an effort. I'm just not making the kind of effort that is needed to gain much ground in this attempt to lose weight. On the surface it seems so easy: just stop eating foods except for eating low-calorie snacks or meals when you are really hungry. What is so difficult about that? On a rational level it is so easy, and then when you get into situations where food is readily available and for some reason the rational often loses the debate on eating or not eating. Shoot, most of the time there is no debate, just a reflex action to grab a snack because you know that it will taste so good for the next 1-2 minutes.

I do have a choice each time and I actually do make the better choice the vast majority of the time. After all, most of us go through the day with food always nearby and readily available. All I need to do is make the better choice a few more times each day and I'll start making progress again. It's easier said than done, but I can do this if I can focus on the fact that it does matter when I pull back and look at the big picture.

I hate to set goals when I have such a poor track record of even attempting to keep them. That being said, I'll set two goals today and maybe I can use them to start making better choices. I'm going to Dallas at Halloween and I'd like to be under the obesity level by then. For me that level is right at 207 pounds. And with this being the 17th of the month, I am now exactly 3 months from my 57th birthday. I'd like to be at 190 for that birthday, not an easy task since it equals 10 pounds per month, but a doable task if I'll combine the walking and the willpower I showed when I first combined dieting and blogging. These are things that I can do, now the question is will I do them? We will know on October 31st and in 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment