* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: September 22, 2008 -- 218.5 Pounds (43.5 Pounds to Go)

Monday, September 22, 2008

September 22, 2008 -- 218.5 Pounds (43.5 Pounds to Go)

I once had a friend who was writing a novel. The guy had some troubles in his life which centered primarily around alcohol and drugs, but he really had some writing talent and I would always ask him about his writing and how his novel was coming along. I asked him for years and years about the book he was working on and the answer was always the same--the novel was coming along and he had a character in the book that was based on me.

This friend and I revolve in different circles now so I haven't seen him for years. For all I know, he is still working on that novel. Sometimes a person works on something for so long without making any progress until it gets to the point when it doesn't seem like they are working on anything at all. At the moment, my diet seems to be somewhat like my friend's novel.

The idea of dieting is always in front of me in some form or another. I'd like to lose the weight and I think I have the tools needed to accomplish the job, but I seem to have the dieter's equivalent of "writer's block" or maybe some type of burnout. For the moment, the good news is that I'm not going wild and stuffing my face at every occasion. At the same time, I'm not showing the strict discipline needed to make any progress.

For anyone reading this blog and looking at my list of weigh-ins for the last couple of months, I can understand that you might question if I'm even dieting just as I wondered if my friend was even working on his novel. In my mind, I'm still dieting, thinking that each tomorrow will be the day that I really get back on track. Some day I'm going to be right. In the meantime, this blog and posting my weight is at least a reminder of what I'd like to accomplish. Who knows, maybe today will be the day that I start getting back on track. It's going to happen some day.

2 comments:

  1. That all sounds very familiar to me. My weight loss seems to come in spurts, like lose 20, gain 15, lose 20, gain 10, lose 15, gain 10, and so on. At least the long-term trend has been down. It's a struggle, isn't it? Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim--Thanks for the comment and good luck with your new diet. One thing I should keep in mind is that at the beginning of 2006 I was at 230 pounds and without the blogging and trying over the last 30 months, I'm sure my weight would be much, much higher. That's a degree of success, just not enough compared to what I need to achieve.

    Frank.

    ReplyDelete