* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: A New Title, A New Approach

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A New Title, A New Approach

It took Thomas Edison 10,000 failed experiments to invent the electric light so I don't think there's anything wrong with me changing my weight loss approach every now and then. Actually, Edison said that none of those 10,000 experiments was a failure because each one showed him what wouldn't work. In my case, I don't think that my previous approaches have been ones that wouldn't work, I think my approaches didn't work because I didn't follow the plan.

If I had a coach with me 24 hours a day helping me make the right decisions, or maybe forcing me to make the right decisions, then getting back in shape would be a snap. Obviously the only way I can afford a 24-hour coach is to coach myself. I know that sounds a little simplistic and even stupid, but I need to take somewhat of a split personality approach to losing weight. There's an element somewhere inside of me that seems to always be pushing for experiencing the eating pleasure now and dealing with the consequences later. That's no different from all the kids I've coached in the past who had ability, but didn't have the drive to develop that ability--it took a coach staying on them to do the drills and to do the right things in order for them to reach their potential.

I'm going to try and go through the coming days and weeks with this "What Would Coach Frank Say" attitude about my eating and my actions. It's really the way that I need to approach everything in my life and it's not any different from that old saying about "practicing what you preach". I know I'm qualified for this coaching job and now I need to prove that I have the discipline to respond to good coaching. It's never too late to work on turning potential into reality, and one theme of my life has been undeveloped potential. This old dog needs to learn some new tricks.

Weight today: 222.5 Pounds

2 comments:

  1. Hey Frank! My techniques have been quite lack lustered myself and at the end of the day I don't really have any results. I will say, however, that I have new inspiration. Basically I picked up a "books on tape" version of the Now habit. It's pretty much a dive into the art of procrastination. The more I lazily analyzed my past performances, I was able to associate varying levels of procrastination to them. The general concept is choosing to accomplish things instead of having to complete them. For example, instead of saying, "I have to get up and jog a mile this morning" I now say "I'm choosing to jog a mile this morning because I have made a decision". From one critic to another, it sounds sillier on paper but give it a shot. Try using proactive power of choice rather than the punishing drive of guilt. Just my new innovation and I'll see if it brings me light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, I like that approach. If I don't have a set deadline then I'm in the running for the "King of Procrastination". I'll work myself silly to get the Millsaps photos done because I know a lot of people are waiting to see the results, BUT, I have years of family photos that still need work because I figure they can wait till another day, then another day, etc.

    Your method doesn't sound silly to me--I'm going to check out the Now habit. I had not heard of it until your post. Take care,

    Frank

    ReplyDelete