* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: December 15, 2008 -- 220 Pounds

Monday, December 15, 2008

December 15, 2008 -- 220 Pounds

First off, I feel great mentally about the prospects of staying on track this time and getting some serious dieting done. Some of that comes from the boost that Todd has created by adding comments about his own effort to the blog. I'm not very good and staying motivated on an individual project, but I usually do pretty good if I'm involved in some sort of team effort.

The second part of my mental uplifting is the decision to give up television. It's one of those things where I didn't realize what a drag it was on my life until I unplugged the antenna on each TV. I've gotten things done this weekend that had been put off for months. When you have success in various areas of your life, it gives you motivation to have success in other areas--such as in the area of losing weight.

I did go up a little on the calories Sunday, allowing myself to splurge and get a small combo at Wendy's for lunch followed by a Milky Way at the basketball game. It's 7:40 Sunday evening as I type and I anticipate that I'll have a bag of popcorn later this evening. That would put Sunday's food journal at: pineapple(300)--popcorn(250)--Wendy's small combo(1,000)--Milky Way(270)--pineapple(300)--popcorn(250) = 2,370 calories (I did walk some while at Millsaps but I vetoed the idea of walking to the campus.)

(Note on today's weight: I put this at the bottom because it would have been a poor way to start off the post. I've been doing a lot of sitting at the computer lately. It has been productive, but my activity level has dropped to zero. Yesterday I took the time to walk for about 30 minutes that was broken down into three short walks at halftimes and between games. I hate to be so graphic, but those walks seemed to push some food in process on through the system and I was in the bathroom several times yesterday evening. It just goes to show that even getting out for a few short walks has to be good for you along the lines of helping the body function like it should. Now that I'm not watching television, I need to take some of those walking breaks at home after I've been sitting at the computer for a couple of hours.)

2 comments:

  1. Frank,
    Keep up the effort! How is your hip? If it is giving you trouble ask your doctor for a prescription to physical therapy to be evaluated and design a home exercise program. Maybe go to the therapist 1 x a week for 3-4 weeks. This will help give you a specific program to work on and will give you accoutability to some one else for showing progress. Your hip will feel better, you will have a short exercise routine you can do, and any exercise will enhance your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty, that makes a lot of sense. I never really thought about getting in a program where I had exercises to do and someone who was going to check up on me to see if I was following the routine. I do need that sort of accountability.

    As for the hip, it does real well when I don't try to walk or exercise much. In the long run, that's not really a good solution for avoiding the pain. Don't hold me to any timetable on going to the doctor, but I think I will eventually follow your advice. If not sooner, then I'll force myself to do it when I take my annual physical in early April.

    ReplyDelete