* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: December 17, 2008 -- I'm 57 and 226 Pounds!!!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

December 17, 2008 -- I'm 57 and 226 Pounds!!!

Today's my 57th birthday and I've gained just shy of 200 pounds since coming into this world on December 17, 1951. About 3 of those pounds are the result of a fantastic office Christmas supper at Shapley's resturant last night. I hope those three pounds are just passing through instead of taking up permanent residence.

Todd said something in his comment yesterday that got me thinking. He was at a celebration, a family event I believe, and he ended up with the same sort of spike in weight. As he pointed out, he could have told everyone that he wasn't eating much because of his diet, but he didn't want to dampen the spirits of the party. The question arises: is this a legitimate excuse or just one of those things that overweight people like to tell themselves so they don't feel guilty about eating too much?

I think it's legitimate unless a person goes way overboard. Think back to all the ancient stories from literature and religious writings. When there was a time of joy and celebration, there seems to be some sort of feast involved with the proceedings. There is a connection deep inside of us that links good food with good times, and nothing dampens such an occasion more than the person who doesn't join in at least to some extent. I could have simply had the salad last night and skipped the meal, sitting at the table while everyone else enjoyed some fantastic steaks. It would have been the right thing to do for a diet, and the wrong thing to do for the occasion.

After last night, I'm starting to think that 225 by the end of the year is a good goal. I don't want to keep raising that year end number and I don't want to give myself a blank check for gorging over the next two weeks. I need to combine moderation with celebration and hopefully that will allow me to stay at a reasonable weight during this season of food. Come January 1st, the celebrations end and there will no longer be excuses for my lack of success. I need to recreate the success of 2006 in 2009.

1 comment:

  1. 224.6 today and I had a sloppy night as far as the diet police goes. I blame an out of town friend but I kept it within reason. I am happy to see the weight actually be less however instead of up. I was a little discouraged of all the work I did last two weeks for such little losses but now I'm surprised to see the results after doing what I thought was damage over the past few days. Did you happen to catch the biggest loser finale? It was down to the last three and I think they had three months to lose as much remaining weight as they could. One contestant spent about 4 hours in the gym everyday (supposedly) and lost only 2lbs in six weeks and she was breaking down. I believe they had 12 weeks of time so somehow she managed to lose an additional 30lb after that. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete