* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 10 (1/10/09) -- 224.5 Pounds

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 10 (1/10/09) -- 224.5 Pounds

Now I need to follow this up with a good weekend of walking, jogging, and restraint on the eating.
The big event of Friday was my first real test of the new Garmin Forerunner 305. At $165, it wasn't cheap and it wasn't outrageous (I did get $30 off that price by signing up for an Amazon credit card). I can now keep up with my walks and jogs within .01's of a mile, but all along I've been able to keep up with my outings within .01's of a second. Couldn't I have simply kept up with time spent walking? Yes, but how many times in the last few years have you read about me going out walking because I wanted to add an extra 15 minutes to my weekly total. There's something about mileage that is more motivating than time.

Maybe the thing that justifies the purchase is that I paid the extra $15-20 to go from a Forerunner 205 to the 305 which records the runners heart rate. Yesterday was a good example of the value of this feature. Boty and I were on the fairly flat course for 60 minutes, starting off by walking 1:30 minutes, then jogging 1:30 minutes, and alternating like that the 20 walk-jog combos. Here's what my monitor told me:

--My resting heart rate when sitting in the car before running was about 72 beats per minute (BPM).
--At the end of the first 1:30 of walking it was up to 105 BPM.
--At the end of the first 1:30 of jogging it was up to 138 BPM.
--At the end of the second 1:30 of walking my BPM had only dropped to 118.
--At the end of the second 1:30 of jogging my BPM had climbed to 141.
--This started a pattern of the BPM being slightly higher at the end of each recovery walk, and the BPM likewise being slightly higher at the end of each jogging period.
--By the end of the 60 minutes, I peaked at 167 BPM at the end of the next to last jog and my recovery before the last jog only dropped to 135 BMP.

To some folks these may be meaningless numbers, but they speak volumes about the incredible decline in my fitness. First off, walking for 90 seconds should not cause a person's heart rate to jump above 100 BPM. That is terrible. The jump to 138 after 90 seconds of jogging is equally terrible, and it's possible that the 167 BPM at the end is something I should be concerned about.

There something called the Karvonen Formula that estimates a persons maximum heart rate and the ranges they should shoot for during training. A 57 year old with a resting heart rate of 72 supposedly has a maximum heart rate of 169 so I supposedly was at my peak heart rate yesterday, not really what a person wants to do. According to the numbers from the heart monitor, yesterday was a recklessly difficult workout where I pushed my heart far too hard.

Fortunately, that's not how the workout felt and I've always been very good at monitoring my "feel" during my workout. It didn't seem like I was struggling on any of the jogging parts, I never felt like I had pushed myself to the max in any way. It actually felt like a great workout, just about right on time and distance. It was certainly a much easier workout than the 4 mile jog on my home course last Sunday. If I was going strictly by the numbers, I probably should be concerned, but if you go by the charts then I should have felt totally different than how I felt.

I'll keep an eye on things and I suspect these numbers will improve week after week with the resting heart rate going down, the walking not causing such a spike, and the jogging being more in a realistic training zone region. If those numbers don't drop, then I guess it will mean a trip to the heart doctor for tests. The problem with that is once they run tests, they like to run procedures, and I'm not too keen on that option when I am feeling well in general. We'll see what the numbers reveal in the future and I'm make sure that I don't do any workouts that cause the numbers to push any higher.

1 comment:

  1. Frank, Great idea to do some record keeping. It can really be a motivator. Rusty

    ReplyDelete