* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 11 (1/11/2009) -- 223.5 Pounds

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 11 (1/11/2009) -- 223.5 Pounds

It's nice to inch down a little closer to my goal even on a day when I did not walk or jog. I had plans of walking 1-2 miles and those plans got put on hold by rain for most of the afternoon and evening. Since I'm going out for a 60 minute walk-jog in about an hour, having a complete 48 hour rest since Friday's outing might be a good thing.

I'm really counting on the increase in jogging and walking to be the key to losing a lot of weight and keeping it off. My hope is something that goes beyond the simple concept of burning extra calories. After all, a 4 mile outing might burn off 600 calories for someone my size, maybe less. That's not really a lot and I've had plenty of days where I ate 600 calories less than my supposed daily requirement. Those days didn't do much to bring down my weight.

Here are my two theories of why jogging will be more effective than simply counting on the calories burned:

1) When it comes to weight, the body often acts like a very stubborn kid. The body has a set weight that it wants to maintain and it is hard to get it to change. That's good when we overeat and the body burns extra in order to maintain the status quo, and it's bad when we diet and the body lowers the metabolism to keep us from losing weight.

The best way to deal with a stubborn kid is by giving them a reason to change (other than "I'm going to beat the living daylights out of you" even though that one is often successful). For example, you may battle with little success to get a child to clean their room. Then one day the child is going to have friends over so on their own they decide to put their entire room neatly in order. I'm hoping that jogging and the extra work it creates for my body will be the reason that makes my body decides that 175 pounds is a lot easier to cope with than 225 pounds.

2) I'm counting on the above reason the most, but here's a biological theory that hopefully is just as important. You know how a person will continue to nibble when there's food around even if they aren't hungry. I wonder if the body does the same with food that passes through our digestive system? Let's say I eat a 1,000 calorie item and it takes 4 days for that food to move through my body when I'm inactive, but only 2 days when I'm doing a lot of walking and jogging. Does the body absorb and store all of that 1,000 calories either way, or is it possible that less calories are absorbed when the food is passed through more quickly? I know it can't hurt to have that food out of the system more quickly, I just don't know if it helps. Maybe someone reading this can give us a scientific answer.

Got to go jogging in a few minutes. I'm going to the old YMCA outdoor track where I have easily logged over a thousand miles of jogging over the years (probably several thousand). It is supposedly exactly 1 mile thanks to an odd little loop that one can either bypass or run. That loop is only about 50 yards and it could serve no other practical purpose other than to make an exact mile. Today I'll have my Garmin and we'll find out the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment