* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 24 (1/24/2009) -- 225.5 Pounds

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 24 (1/24/2009) -- 225.5 Pounds

Is the 4 week diet a failure? Who knows since I haven't really given it one iota of a chance to succeed. There's a part of me that wants to think that dieting is as simple as saying, "Okay, now I'm going to diet and lose 20-50 pounds." I want to think there's no real effort involved other than making the decision to lose weight. On the surface this seems logical because isn't dieting simply cutting back on food intake? Eating less isn't an activity that takes any extra time. Maybe there's a trade off of taking more time to fix healthy food and then taking less time to eat since one is eating less, but cutting back on calories isn't something that involves a lot of time, money or special equipment.

That sounds logical to me. On the other hand, it also sounds logical that if losing weight is that simple, then we wouldn't have a country where over half the adults are overweight and a third are obese. If we are allowed to assume that the vast majority of adults would prefer to be in the normal weight range, and we know that a significant majority of adults are in the overweight and obese range, then logic says that losing weight is not as simple as just making the decision to lose weight.

When I lost weight successfully, I was focused on losing weight. My blog was all about losing weight. I was taking some time to exercise, playing tennis for sure and maybe I was jogging some during that point in time. The photo project at Millsaps wasn't nearly as big as it is today and it wasn't so all consuming in my life. I worked on losing weight, I was excited about losing weight, and my primary project in life was losing weight--is there any doubt about why I was successful then and I have no success now?

Is that a legitimate analysis or an excuse for my poor performance? Maybe some of both. I know that physically I'm worn down and I've felt slightly sick all week. Maybe a tiny fever, worn out quite a bit, sometimes grabbing food as a way to get through the morning and then taking off in the afternoon to go home and nap before working at the computer for hours on end. It does sound like an excuse to me. I still think I should be able to diet even while grinding myself down to the level of being sick. I don't know. In hindsight, probably the worse thing I could have done for my health was starting back on the Millsaps photos at the beginning of October. It's a project that makes it hard to focus on anything else in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment