* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: April 4, 2009

Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 4, 2009

Today I changed the blog name to "Rebalancing My Life". It's not the first time the name has been changed and it might not be the last. While the most evident change in my life over recent years has been the return to the obesity of my youth, there are other changes that have taken place. Mostly these changes center about pulling back from the outside world and going more into solitude. That's not a good way to live.

This pull back is mostly a result of two things. First, when I go to events where I can be social, such as sports or parties or concerts, my main goal now is to take photographs instead of visit with friends and enjoying the evening. Second, all of these photos mean incredible hours spent at home processing the photos. These two things won't go away unless I greatly cut back greatly on the photography and that's unlikely. What I need to do is cut back some and then take that newly created time to get back to the things I once enjoyed so much.

It's a real internal battle. I can always find something else that needs to be photographed. When some free time does pop up in my life, my first impulse is to find something to photograph. That's got to stop. My time would be better spent recharging the other areas of my life. My time might also be better spent studying some about photography instead of rushing out to take more photos. In the short term, I hate to miss out on events to photograph. In the long term, my life and photography will be better with a little more balance and more time given to myself.

For the record, my weight this morning was 222 pounds. I'd like to get that down to 175 pounds over the next few months, lets say by the beginning of the 2009-10 school year at Millsaps. I'll feel better physically and mentally. There is such a huge connection between the physical and mental. When I was in college I lost a lot of weight and went from always having been overweight to fit and athletic--it was a dramatic change. I don't know if it was the mental side in the form of improved self-confidence that allowed me to lose weight, or did losing weight improve my self-confidence. Those two things are so intertwined and it seems like that's been part of my problem of late.

Without much of a life outside of taking photos and sitting at home working on photos, there's not much motivation to lose weight. If I were out more, being more social, trying to chase down a tennis ball--those things would give me a reason to lose weight. For whatever the reason, the concept of losing weight so you will live 6-8 years longer isn't much of a motivator. Rewards in the very distant future never are.

So that's my new approach. When I lost that weight back in college it wasn't with any specific diet or approach other than the fact that I really wanted to lose weight because it would make my life better. I need to rediscover that desire because losing weight now really would make my life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment