* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: April 5, 2009

Sunday, April 5, 2009

April 5, 2009

I worked till almost midnight and now it's just after 5 on Sunday morning. I shouldn't be up this early and hopefully there's a 2 hour nap in my immediate future. My eyes still want sleep, my hip and back are a little too sore for a quick return to dreamland so I'm hoping that 3 extra strength Excedrin will kick in to solve that problem.

Today's weight was 222 pounds, same as yesterday. Yesterday's eating pattern was acceptable. It would have been nice if I had walked 3-4 miles instead of just one short walk to the grocery store. Speaking of the grocery store, I've decided that I need to cut way back on the processed food that comes in packages you can tear open with your hands. That's a general rule with plenty of exceptions. However, it would catch many main food groups that need to come out of my daily diet: hot pockets, frozen pizza, candy bars, snack packs of crackers, cereal bars, popcorn, and things like a bag of cookies or chips. Cans with pop-tops are okay. Take away the pineapples and soup type items and I'd starve.

As mentioned, this is simply a rule to make me think. Yogurt is good for me and that's something that is easily opened by hand. Hot pockets and popcorn aren't terrible as long as I don't overdo the frequency. The main thing is for me to think before eating, and for me to realize that things that are packages in cellophane, paper, or cardboard, are often fast food items that aren't the top choice for a healthy diet.

As for the rebalancing my life thing, I'll have to admit that yesterday was mostly spent editing photos from start to finish. The photos will be a big part of April as the spring sports end up at Millsaps so there's not much way to get around a lot of computer time. Rebalancing my life doesn't mean dropping the photography or cutting back tremendously. It's about keeping the obsession with photography under control and then being more efficient with the time that I do have away from my real job and this pro bono job.

The good news is that most of the Fondren music photos were edited. The big chunk of time went to the Passenger Jones and Owen Beverly photos. A smaller amount of time went for photos of a singer named Sanders Bohlke, sort of an Iron and Wine type singer, and then getting the Maloney Trophy photos done from Millsaps baseball. I need to edit the photos from last weeks Millsaps softball and I want to take photos all afternoon and evening at the Crawdad Hole 7th Annual Music Festival. Unfortunately, we have a problem at work that involves meeting with a consultant this afternoon at 3 and that hampers my planning.

Okay, it's almost 6 on Sunday morning and I have the Excedrin's washed down by a diet soda, so maybe I can nap if the aches are masked by the pain killers and the DT's are stopped by guzzling a Diet Pepsi. It seems unlikely that I'll ever break the diet soda addiction--water just tastes so bad which is strange since it is suppose to be tasteless. When I get up again, maybe I can get some things done with my morning other than editing photos since I'm trying to rebalance my life. Actually, I just need to get a few real life weekend things done since I'll be out till close to midnight this evening--the music festival ends around 11 this evening and I'll catch as much of the ending as possible after working at the office.

One last thing. It's too early to tell where this new version of the blog is going. Right now it seems like it's become somewhat of a journal/diary type blog. That might work out well for me. The main blog might be "A Slice of Frank's Life", but it's a little boring when it focuses too much on my life. This blog might be the place for me to write to myself, providing the little reminders about the pitfalls that are ahead and reflections on things I've done in the recent past. In general, it can be the place where I can write whatever I want without worrying about being interesting to anyone else. We'll see how it goes.

Update, 10:00 am: I went back to bed just before 6 this morning. The hard part about sleeping is trying to cut out the thinking. My brain is like that one person who wants to stay at the party another hour when everyone else has been ready to leave for an hour. I think about things that need to be done, things that have taken place, random thoughts pop up that then get shaped into one of my mental blog posts, one of those things that gets written in my head and never makes it to the blog. Maybe I dream, but mostly I daydream about things. It's almost like I'm trying to tell myself a bedtime story.

Thinking in bed is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Unfortunately, it is not something I control. There seems to be no way to turn it off. Counting sheep isn't possible since I can visualize sheep just as I can't visualize anything else with real clarity. If I turn on a CD it sometimes helps and at other times my mind sings along to the songs and gets ready to party for yet another hour. Sometimes I try to find that thin line on the volume where you can tell the stereo is on without being able to make out the words.

At one time I copied a series of cassette tapes from the public library. It was one of these TV evangelists who had some preaching series. Sermons often put me to sleep so I thought this might be a good plan. That was probably 20 years ago and I don't think it got tried very much. There's something that seems inherently wrong about playing preaching show that you can intentionally ignore it.

Well, I didn't mean to write all of the above. I was simply going to report that after a few sputters and starts to my nap, I slept solid from 7 to 9 this morning and then I went into snooze mode for another 45 minutes. While I have a ton of things to do, nothing was more important than getting that extra sleep before the work week begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment