* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: May 21, 2009--219.5 Pounds (4 pounds lost)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21, 2009--219.5 Pounds (4 pounds lost)

This weight gain was well earned on two fronts. First, I was tired yesterday so I did eat a little too much at work. That was offset somewhat by walking at both break periods. The bigger damage was done by the Wednesday night get together.

What I needed to do yesterday was go home, take a nap and then walk. That's been my pattern of late and the positive results have shown up in the mornings. Instead, I tried to take care of an errand after work, by 5 I felt like I could barely stay awake so I went through a fast food drive-in for the first time in about 2 weeks, and then came the beer and nuts at the bar. The result wasn't 3 pounds of real fat gained, but the temporary jump in weight is a setback.

One of the "gang of 8" lost about 30 pounds in the last year or so. When I spoke about trying to diet and do the Wednesday night thing, he said that what he did was show up, have one beer and one glass of water, and then he left early. It would be nice if my option was that simple--or if I would allow myself to take such a simple option.

The Wednesday group has really been just 7 in 2009. My brother, for reasons unrelated to the group, the bar, alcohol, etc, decided about 6 months ago that he had to cut some things out of his life and the Wednesday night group was a casualty. He had been the ringleader. He and I had been the most loyal attendees, but not by much because in the beginning everyone tried to work their schedule around our Wednesday evening gathering.

Now we have 7 and I'm the only one who consistently shows up early and stays till the end. There was a time when of the 7, we were often failing to get a majority. That has improved now that I send out an email to everyone on Wednesday morning, trying to be clever and reminding them about Nick's in the evening. It hasn't improved to the point that I can come late, have a beer and water, and then leave early.

For example, last night one guy got there before 5:30. In theory we meet at 6:00, but some come straight from work and are there by 5:30. I joined him at about 5:30 and we were the only ones there for about 30 minutes. He probably wouldn't have stayed till 6 if I hadn't shown up. Then two others came in with one being my brother for the first time this year. Finally a fifth member came in for the last half hour or so.

It doesn't sound bad, 5 of the 8 showing up. In the no-shows we had 2 out-of-town and 1 sick. But without my brother's rare and surprise visit it's down to 4. Take me out of the equation and it is down to 3 with one guy sitting by himself from 5:30 to 6:00, then 2 guys talking from 6:00 to 6:30, and finally they would be joined for a few minutes by a third member of the group. The group has been on thin ice for 6 months and the cracks were starting to show even prior to that. There just doesn't seem to be a way for me to skip out and focus on my diet without the group ending, so I'm doing the best I can with this landmine in my path every week. It does get a little frustrating and maybe what we need is to take the summer off from meeting. That would make my dieting an easier task to tackle.

1 comment:

  1. 219.2 today, yesterday I hit 218.8. Progression feels so good!

    ReplyDelete