* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: June 1, 2009--221.5 Pounds (2 pounds lost)

Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1, 2009--221.5 Pounds (2 pounds lost)

Did you expect a change of the blog title to "Losing 30 Pounds in 3 Months" or even the more realistic "Losing 8 Pounds in 4 Months"? I thought about those things, even considered just giving up the blog altogether. It is a source of embarrassment at times, setting goals that are within my ability and then failing to achieve because of failing to follow through.

The good news is that 40 months after starting the blog, I haven't gained any weight. That's far better than the 40 months prior to starting the blog and better than just about any 40 month period since 1990. That's a positive of sorts, just not anywhere near what I've been hoping to achieve.

The big problem is focus. You've read this all before, but back in 2006 the goal to lose weight was the primary thing in my life. The Millsaps project was much smaller and I wasn't writing multiple blogs. Also, in 2006 this was my first venture into the world of blogging. I really thought that my weight loss success would attract others to the blog, motivate them to start a food journal blog, and therefore my success would help a lot of people succeed with their weight problem. Now I understand that while blogging gives everyone a voice, just about everyone still goes unheard when everyone talks at once. Having this dream of helping others succeed is the thing that fueled my success in the beginning. As that dream has faded away and this has become only about success for myself, results have suffered greatly.

So how do I get refocused? I'm thinking about a novel approach that will keep me thinking about the need to lose weight every waking hour of the day. I'm thinking about giving up diet sodas. Not because they are bad for me, or they might be causing fluid retention, or because they are costly. Those would all be good reasons, just not as good as knowing that by connecting the craving for a diet soda with dieting, I'm assured of thinking about dieting all day, every day. When I lose the 40 pounds, then I'll be free to go back to diet sodas. Hopefully I'll have weened myself from this addiction by then, but the point right now it to ween myself from the excessive weight that is slowly killing me.

It's a new plan and eventually one of this new plans will team up with an uptick in motivation to provide success. As is always the case, I feel good about this new approach--let's see how I still feel at the end of the week or the end of the month.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frank, I know I've had a mini hiatus. Basically I'm here to report that my wife and I gave up atkins all together. The biggest reason is that we've decided we're ready for children and low(no) carb dieting has a laundry list against it when it comes to pregnancy. With that came a week of trying to decide our next steps, a little too good eating, and a great trip to Busch Gardens which returned me at a loaded 226.2. Atkins definitely showed some signs of working for me but absolutley nothing for my wife.

    ReplyDelete