* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: June 26, 2009--I'm Still Alive

Friday, June 26, 2009

June 26, 2009--I'm Still Alive

I'm still alive and I'm still at that 221-222 mark. While shaving this morning, the thought hit me that what my life needs right now is moderation. No grand exercise plan, no strict diet, no 2,000+ photos in one day. Just do things moderately and relax for a while.

In a way, this becomes my "different approach #xxx", sort of trying to sneak up on some weight loss by saying that I'm not really dieting. In another way, this is an approach that is successful when trying to work a difficult Sudoku puzzle. I'm sort of hooked on the Sudoku, that 81-square puzzle where you have to fill in rows, columns, and squares of numbers. It's amazing how I can work on a puzzle, get it half done, and then just get stuck so that 10-minutes of staring and recalculating gets me nothing. If I'll put it aside for an hour or two, long enough to forget all the angles that didn't work, then when I pick it up again with a fresh approach the solution is often found in just a few minutes.

This diet thing has been going on for over 3 years. Not strict dieting, but saying that I'm on a diet has been going on since February, 2006. What I need is to take a break and just go with moderation for a bit to clear out all of the angles that haven't worked. Still weighing every day, still blogging here and there, but not saying I'm dieting when it's obvious that I'm not.

I'd rather be taking a break and maintaining 220-222 pounds instead of doing a poor job of dieting and failing to break out of the 220-222 pound range. It's a mental thing that might let me recharge for a real diet. Or maybe, just maybe, relaxing and honestly doing things in moderation might start a long slow drop in weight that will be like taking the back roads instead of the interstate to get to my destination. I'm not counting on that, but it would be a nice surprise.

So, check in about once a week and there should be something new here. Even if a miracle happens and my weight starts to drop, my plan will be to not diet for a while and I'll stick with that plan. Moderation--it's an approach that works well with a lot of things in life.

2 comments:

  1. Frank, Rusty here. It's been a long time since I have written but it's not because I haven't been reading your blogs or thinking about what to say. I sit down to read and come up with a thought and then never write. It is one of those things that I don't know why I do it or don't do it may be a better choice of words. I want to encourage you to pursue a healthier life style but I don;t know what is the best way to do it. I haven't struggled with weight and it seems to be more of an encouragement and more effective to get advice from someone who's been there. we all have our struggles and I am no different. I will be more consistent in my comments and hope you continue to progress to change the things in your life that will lead you to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Rusty. You've actually given me good suggestions in the past and encouragement to follow through with all the various plans floated here, plans that would work if I would "work the plan". I appreciate that effort even though none of my words or your words have seemed to do much good.

    Well, actually it is a good thing that at least the line has been held at or below 225 for over 3 years. That's a little long to remain in the "stop the bleeding" mode, but at the start of 2006 I was well on my way towards 250 pounds.

    Your comment got me thinking about a lot of things and instead of writing them all down in a comment here, I'll put them in the main post on tomorrow's Slice of Frank blog. Dealing with my weight certainly is a big slice of my life.

    Hope all is well--I need to call and it would be nice if I came for a visit. I'm taking a Friday-Saturday-Sunday trip to Dallas this weekend. That's about as much time as I ever take away from Jackson these days.

    Frank.

    ReplyDelete