* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: September 18, 2009--219.5 Pounds

Friday, September 18, 2009

September 18, 2009--219.5 Pounds

Perfect timing on getting below that 220 mark for one of the few times in all of 2009. Today we have the party for the September birthdays at the office and now I can eat like there's no tomorrow.

Whoa, whoa, whoa--that's the old Frank and the old theory of dieting. I have to go back to the 2006 theory about not eating at the birthday parties. Think about it. I can keep my diet on track in exchange for a few hours of fighting off temptation. OR, I could stuff myself with junk food and any pleasure found through food would be totally gone within minutes of consumption, leaving me with no lasting pleasure and a diet setback. It really shouldn't be hard at all to skip the junk when one looks at the pros and cons of the situation.

Now here's the key deal looking forward. I've got to really work hard this weekend to break this desire by my body to stay in the 220's. Once my body moves off that point and gets into a change mode, there will be an opportunity to really see some big changes--I just have to keep from faltering and really make a big push to break this setpoint that has become so comfortable. It needs to be a weekend of 1,500 calorie days which include a lot of walking. Do that, and the potential for something dramatic is very strong.


-----------------Blogging Below the Line------------------

A little music stuff today:

---Jim Carroll and Mary Travers, those are people who died, died. (I guess you only get that if you know Jim Carroll's biggest musical hit was "People Who Died" and that died was repeated in the lyrics.)

Two of my favorite singers died in the last few days and these two reflect the diversity of my music taste. First was the poet/cult figure/punk rocker Jim Carroll. Second was the folk legend Mary Travers, the Mary in "Peter, Paul and Mary". Both are really icons of the 1960's and/or 1970's, but I still like their music and they both made a mark in America's music history.

My guess is that 50 years from now it will be the music of Mary Travers that is remembered the best--not much of a long shot since it is remembered best by far at this point in history. "Peter, Paul and Mary" will always have an important spot in the telling of the history of music. They came at a time when folk music became big, they came at a time when music was bursting on the scene as a form of protest against government policies, and they had longevity and a strong commitment to their cause. Oh yeah, they were also really good.

Jim Carroll will probably be a footnote of history at best, known mostly for his teenage coming of age book about life as a young teenage heroin addict/basketball star who was supporting his habit partially via sexual encounters with older men. You know, a feel good story for the ages (you might remember the 1995 movie based on the book, "The Basketball Diaries" starting Leonardo DiCaprio). It's just the kind of grimy, sleazy tale that insures it won't be totally forgotten, especially since it fits into that New York scene with Andy Warhol and all that was going on in the 1960's era.

Personally, I like Jim Carroll's music more than his poetry and writings. It was very punk, starting out as basically Jim shouting his poetry with an angry band backing him up at a high volume. For some reason this worked for me way back then and it still does now to some degree.

I guess the bottom line is that Mary Travers and Jim Carroll are not only people who died but they are also people who will be remembered. Deep down, isn't that something we all want, at least to be remembered in a positive way by friends and family? At least to have made some mark on this world to show that we wrote something on our blank slate between the time of our birth and the time of our death? My photos will be part of my mark, even if most people forget the name of the person who took the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment