* Code to improve Google search: Frank's Weight Loss Blog: Day 1--228 Pounds (0 lbs lost)

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 1--228 Pounds (0 lbs lost)

Was really expecting to see 226 pounds this morning. Avoided all the candy at work yesterday plus 2 cakes. All I had for the day was: hot pocket(260)--yogurt(100)--hot pocket pita thing(440)--popcorn(250)--soup(380)--popcorn(250) = 1,680 calories.

Yeah, it would be better if that was 1,680 calories of fruits and vegetables. And it would be better if I had been out walking some instead of finally getting a pile of ironing done and then spending the rest of the evening in front of the computer. There's always better that can be done, but in this case it seemed like I had done enough to get a drop. Not that it matters much. At 228 pounds or 226 pounds, I still have a long way to go.

Let's look at the situation. Forget about the fat childhood and all of the mental and physical implications of those first 18 years. I hit 200 pounds just before turning 19 years old, and for the first time in my life something clicked and I was able to lose down to 180 pounds. That weight continue to drop until it bottomed out at 165 pounds, my weight when I left college and that's where I stayed until about the age of 35.

During that 165 pound era, I had my body fat level tested several times. All of those test were fairly consistent that my non-fat weight was right around 150 pounds. That would be the bones, the blood, the muscle, and whatever. Those non-fat things haven't changed and let's generously say that the non-fat part of my body today is still 150 pounds even though the muscle mass has to be less than when I was playing sports every day.

Do the math. Subtract 150 pounds from 228 and you get 78 pounds of fat. 78 pounds! Now some fat is necessary for healthy living and maybe some is acceptable as a concession to age and a lower activity rate, but 78 pounds is quite a load of weight to deal with 24 hours a day, 12 months a year. When I weighed 165 pounds, that was 15 pounds of fat. Would it be outrageous to think that 30 pounds of fat should be the upper limit of what I'm carrying around now?

Over the weekend the topic of dieting came up and someone said that I don't look like I really need to lose weight. Whether they thought that for real or were just being kind, I don't know. For sure that would be the opinion of the minority because most would look at me and agree that losing a little weight would probably be a good idea.

Would many think that I need to lose 48 pounds to get from 78 pounds of fat to just 30? I doubt that, but I bet that most of those folks would think that a person carrying 30 pounds of fat is overweight. Maybe that's how this dieting thing should be approached. People should get a body fat test done so they know just how much fat they are dealing with every second of the day. For me, I'm carrying around excess fat basically equal to a 50-pound bag of dog food or potting soil or concrete mix. Have you ever tried toting one of those around and if you have, can you have any doubts that my life would be much easier if I only weighed 180 pounds?

I'm sticking with the diet this time to get to that 180 pound number. Yes, you have read this all before (assuming that anyone is reading), but this feels different to me. My mindset feels much like it did when the blogging all began in February, 2006. It's just something that has to be done and I'm the only one who can do it. Fortunately, there are a lot of rewards for successfully completing the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment